Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cheese Soup


I just have to start out by saying.. this is my absolute favorite soup in the entire world. No really. Since I was a little girl its always been my favorite. I always double the recipe so I can have leftovers that last me an entire week. However, now that I'm married... I am lucky if the soup lasts until lunch the next day :) If I had a bigger pot it would be tripled. We compete for the fridge over it. Its to die for.

2 c. boiling water
2 c. pealed and shredded potatoes
1/2 c carrot slices
1/2 c sliced celery
1 c. ham diced
1/4 c margarine
1/4 c flour
2 c. milk
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Combine water, vegetables, ham and seasonings. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender. Add margarine. Mix in a bowl 1/4 c flour and 1/2 c. milk until smooth. Add the remainder of the milk and pour into the vegetable mix. Stir until thick. Add cheese. Don't boil, just stir until melted. Serve. (Always is really hot, but just throw in an ice cube into your bowl and you're good to go!) can also garnish the top with green onions and bacon bits.

2 comments: