Monday, October 31, 2011

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have to start out by saying Oh. My. Gosh. I was not a chocolate chip cookie fan. And then I discovered this cookie, and I have to admit that I am SO glad I did. It combines the perfect amount of crunchiness edge of cookie along with staying incredibly chewy in the middle (although it is cooked completely.) I even forgot and left them out overnight once... and they were still as if I'd made them 10 minutes before. No change in texture or chewiness.(They havent been tried at lower altitudes)

(adapted from Cooks Illustrated

2 C plus 2 T flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
12 T. butter (1 1/2 sticks) melted and cooled until warm
1 C. brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 C granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
Mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients;mix until just combined. Stir in chips.
*If for some reason your dough is too soft to form balls at this point, DON'T add more flour.  Just cover and place bowl in the fridge until dough firms. I promise. The less flour keeps the cookies light and moist, adding more flour... you will regret. Possibly for the rest of your life.
Take about 1/4 C dough and form into a ball.  Break ball in half and place dough on cookie sheet with broken edge facing up (tearing the cookies like this gives the top that store bough "textured" look. Or just use a standard sized cookie scoop if you don't care or don't have the time.) Bake until cookies are set around outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 10-13 minutes.  I cook them JUST until I barely see any golden brown start to form around the edges. These cookies finish cooking as they cool on the pan. And they are also incredibly forgiving, so if they aren't to your desired "doneness" after they cool you can pop them back in the warm oven for another minute or two. Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store inairtight container.

1 comment: